S A Prüm
The Prüm name has been synonymous with quality wine production in the middle Mosel for generations where the family has been cultivating vineyards and producing wine in the region since 1156.
The vineyard´s namesake, Sebastian Alois Prüm (1794-1871), had seven sons of whom only Mathias (1835-1890) married. He owned 17 ha in the middle of the 19th century which was the largest privately-owned wine estate on the Mosel at the time.
Mathias had seven children, naming his third child after his father, Sebastian Alois Prüm (in 1877-1959). Sebastian expanded his family´s heritage and established the winery in 1911. His second-oldest child, Raimund (1923-1971) continued his father´s work and so it has progressed through subsequent generations to the present day Raimund who inherited the vineyards in 1971 and has since run the company, now with his daughter Saskia.
In summary, S A Prüm was the original, dominant Prüm name until 1911 when branches of the family went their own ways (e.g. J J Prüm) and the current Raimund’s grandfather maintained the name of S A Prüm.
Since 1971 the winery has been modernised and the vineyards further developed, consistently producing wines with an international following. The 13 ha of vineyards are exclusively planted with Riesling on the steep slopes of the middle Mosel and the distinctive sundial logo of S A Prüm may be found on all continents.